Founded in 1830, as Freres Baume, by business partners and brothers Louis-Victor and Celestin Baume, in Les, Bois a village in the Swiss Jura. in 1851 the company expanded and rebranded as Baume Brothers and exploded throughout the British Empire. 1918 is the year the company officially became Baume & Mercier when company director William Baume partnered with Paul Mercier. A year later the company was awarded the 'Geneva Seal', the highest international distinction of the time for watchmaking excellence. The year 1988 is when Baume & Mercier joined the conglomerate Richemont Group becoming a subsidiary of the watchmaking giant.